Hair care, hair and scalp treatments, scalp massage: A hair hygiene program designed to preserve the health and beauty of both the hair and scalp.
Overview: This chapter provides you with the necessary information for a complete hair care program. It includes a method of hair treatment as well as scalp treatment and scalp manipulations.
Behavioral objectives-student goals: After completion of this chapter, and after study, instruction and practice, you will be able to perform and demonstrate competency in hair and scalp treaments and scalp massage by demonstrating: a scalp treatment, a hair treatment and scalp manipulations. You will also demonstrate competency by identifying, explaining and/or listing: The anatomy related to scalp treatments, the accessories required for hair and scalp treatments and the application and effects of hair conditioners.
Care of the hair and scalp constitutes one of the most important services that the cosmetologist offers. Many men and women neglect hair and scalp hygiene because they are not educated about the seriousness of this need. Today, however, people are more conscious of their hair and scalp. The cosmetologist, therefore, should be prepared to recognize individual needs and provide whatever service may be necessary.
Product knowledge is an important part of hair and scalp care. One must know the correct product, the method of application and the type of service to perform in order to treat a specific condition. As a successful hairdresser and cosmetologist, you will be required to make product knowledge an important part of your practice.
Scalp treatments are recommended for the normal healthy person in order to preserve the natural health and beauty of the hair. Avoid scalp treatments immediately before:
1. A permanent wave
2. A hair coloring applications
3. A hair straightening treatment
Sanitary and safety precautions for hair care, hair and scalp treatments, scalp massage
- Read and follow the product manufacturer’s directions.
- Omit scalp treatments before cold waving, hair coloring and chemical straightening.
- Do not use metal items together with a heating cap.
- When using a heating cap, use a low setting on sensitive heads.
- Always cover the hair with a plastic covering before using a heating cap.
- Sanitize implements before each use.
- Check all electrical appliances for safe wiring.
The most important aspects of disinfection are the removal of forgiegn matter (loose hair, dandruff, etc.) and a good scrubbing of the instruments and hands with warm soap and warm water followed by a thorough rinsing. Instuments must be totally immersed in 70 % isopropyl alcohol or other E.P.A. Approved disinfectant for a minimum of 10 minutes, Then wiped dry before use. These procedures should also be used before disinfecting implements prior to storage for reuse.
- Unit 1 – Hair Brushes and Brushing
- Unit 2, 3, 4 – Scalp Manipulations and Movements
- Unit 5 – Accessories for Scalp Treatments
- Unit 6 – Procedure and technique for the application of liquids and creams for scalp treatments
- Unit 7 – Hair Treatments and Procedure
- Unit 8 – Hair Conditioners
- Hair Care, Hair and Scalp Treatments, Scalp Massage